Polls such as this are an exercise in silliness, and should be reported to the Minister of Silly Walks.
For years now, The Weekly Alibi has produced lists of the Best of Burque food that is populated by reader polls. While such polls are not scientifically constructed and are not subject to tests of statistical significance, they often result in some surprising choices. You need to be careful to not interpret such lists as being collection of the best in each category, but simply the most popular in each category on the day that the readers entered their choices into the poll.
This is a popularity contest, purely and simply. That being said, let me show you where I agree and disagree with the results.
Here are the Alibi reader’s picks that I agree with:
- Best Mexican: Los Equipales
- Best Bacon: Gold Street Caffè
- Best Healthy Breakfast: The Grove Café and Market
- Best Falafel: Sahara Middle Eastern Eatery
- Best Seafood: Desert Fish
- Best Green Chile Cheeseburger: Owl Café
- Best Red Chile: Mary & Tito’s
- Best Tamales: El Modelo (landslide)
- Best Vegetarian Restaurant: Annapurna’s World Vegetarian Café
- Best Chef: Jennifer James of Jennifer James 101 (landslide)
- Best Restaurant in Albuquerque: Jennifer James 101
Here are some Alibi results that give me agita.
(These are my opinions alone)
- Spiciest Food in Albuquerque: Sadie’s
Nonsense. Try India Kitchen ghost heat.
- Most Missed Restaurant: Casa Vieja
I don’t miss it at all.
- Best Restaurant on the Westside: Mimmo’s Ristorante & Pizzeria
NFW. Nicky V’s is, hands down.
- Best Chinese: Chow’s Asian Bistro
Not even close. Budai is the star here.
- Best Indian: Taj Mahal
Nope. The Gurung’s Namaste is. Followed very closely by Ajay & Rajul Gupta’s India Kitchen.
- Best Cup of Coffee: Satellite Coffee
No way. Cafe Giuseppe and Golden Crown Panaderia tie for this spot.
- Best Burger: Five Guys
No freakin’ way. Five Guys is a cruel joke. There are at least a dozen better.
- Best Barbecue: Rudy’s “Country Store” and Bar-BQ
Nope. Smokehouse and The Whole Hog are far superior.
- Best New Mexican Restaurant: Sadie’s
What a joke. Mary & Tito’s and El Bruno’s (on 4th) are far superior. And Mary & Tito’s was given a prestigious James Beard America’s Classic award. So there.
- Best Carne Adovada: Frontier / Golden Pride BBQ, Chicken & Ribs
Nope. Mary & Tito’s wins this hands down.
Other equally silly measures
Urbanspoon creates a list of the top 100 restaurants in the Duke Cith area. Again, this is a popularity contest and not a “best of” list. Here are some off the top (on October 8, 2011):
- Frontier Restaurant
This is rightfully the most popular restaurant in Albuquerque, and it defines what New Mexican cuisine is all about. It is not the best in town, but it is dear to the hearts of generations on UNM students, families, and various camp followers. It is like Nelson Algren’s Lovely with a Broken Nose…. (FGI)
- Il Vicino
- Viet Taste
- Shogun Japanese
- Grove Café & Market
- Two Fools Tavern
- Zinc Wine Bar & Bistro
- Lumpy’s Burgers
- Siam Cafe
- Turtle Mountain Brewing Company
- Little Red Hamburger Hut
- Five Guys Burgers And Fries
- Thai Tip
- Thai Cuisine II
- El Modelo Mexican Foods
- Tucanos Brazilian Grill
- Sakura Sushi and Grill
- San Pedro Mart Middle East Grocery and Food
- Chama River Brewery
- Sophia’s Place
- P’Tit Louis Bistro
- Range Café
- Farina Pizzeria & Wine Bar
- Thai Vegan
- Ezra’s Place
- Oasis Coffee & Tea (The Oasis)
- Kokoro Japanese
- Slate Street Café
- Artichoke Cafe
- Straight Up Pizza
- Flying Star Cafe (Corrales Rd.)
- Jennifer James 101
Why is the best restaurant in town way down here?
Beats me all hollow.
- Jasmine Thai and Sushi House
- Paul’s Monterey Inn
- Dog House Drive In
- Torinos’ @ Home
- The Cube
- Café Jean Pierre
- Seasons Rotisserie & Grill
- AmerAsia – Sumo Sushi
- El Patio de Albuquerque
- Vernon’s Hidden Valley Steaks
- Taqueria Mexico
- Budai Gourmet Chinese
- Mannies Family Restaurant
- St. James Tearoom
- Joe’s Pasta House
- JC’s New York Pizza Department
- Scalo Northern Italian Grill
- Bailey’s on the Beach
- Cafe Istanbul
- Yanni’s Mediterranean Bar & Grill
- Flying Star Cafe (Nob Hill)
- Café Da Lat
- Rudy’s Country Store & Bar-B-Q
- Sakura Sushi Thai & Laos Cuisine
I still love the Alibi.